FAQs from New Clinicians
- How Do I Get Started As A Clinician?
- How Does It All Work – In A Nutshell?
- I’m Not A General Practitioner, Can I Still Register?
- What Is The Clinical Responsibility?
- How To Order A Prescription Pad?
- What’s The Difference Between Registration And Login?
- How Do I Prescribe A Course To My Patient?
- What Is The THIS WAY UP Toolkit For Clinicians?
- How Do Patients Enrol With THIS WAY UP?
- What Are The Technical Requirements?
- I’ve Forgotten My Password. How Do I Get A New One?
- I’ve Changed My Email. How Do I Update My Details?
- Do Prescriptions Expire?
- What Is The K10?
- What Is The World Health Organisation Disability Assessment Schedule II (WHODAS II)?
- What Is The Generalised Anxiety Disorder Scale (GAD-7)?
- What Is The Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9)?
- What Is The Panic Disorder Severity Scale (PDSS)?
- What Is The Mini-Social Phobia Inventory (MINI-SPIN)?
- What’s The Purpose Of A Clinician Login?
- I’ve Registered, Given My Patient A Prescription And Logged Into My Account. What Else Do I Have To Do?
- Is THIS WAY UP Regularly Maintained?
FAQs from Returning Clinicians
- How Do I Interpret Patient Reports?
- How Do I Email A Prescription Or Order A Prescription Pad?
- How Do I View My Patients’ Progress, Pause Their Course, Or Discharge A Patient?
- How Do I View My Prescription Usage?
- How Do I Preview Courses?
Q. How Do I Get Started As A Clinician?
- Register here. You will need to have a reliable internet connection and a professional, secure email address.
- Activate your account with the email we sent you.
- Log in and follow the steps to begin prescribing THIS WAY UP courses. Having trouble registering? Email us.
Q. How Does It All Work – In A Nutshell?
To use THIS WAY UP, patients and clinicians have to do the following:
- Clinicians register with THIS WAY UP to begin prescribing.
- Clinicians give a prescription to their patient.
- Patients register with THIS WAY UP.
- Patients use the prescription to enrol to their prescribed course.
- Patients complete their course over 6 – 8 weeks.
- Clinicians receive progress reports and a K10 after every lesson.
Please note: Both clinicians and patients need adequate Internet connection and valid email addresses. Our program is web based and communicates via secure email submissions. Therefore is it important that both clinicians and patients use their valid email addresses to receive course progress statements.
Q. I’m Not A General Practitioner, Can I Still Register?
Any clinician (e.g. general practitioner, psychologist, medical specialist, mental health nurse or any other allied health professional) is eligible to use THIS WAY UP. O
Q. What Is The Clinical Responsibility?
Clinical responsibility is only relevant to clinicians handing out a prescription.
Clinical responsibility under a prescription:
Clinicians who elect to prescribe THIS WAY UP courses will take clinical responsibility for their patients, exactly as if they were prescribing medication. A prescription can only be used by the clinician who registered with THIS WAY UP. Script pads can not be shared.
Q. How To Order A Prescription Pad?
For busy practices, it can be useful to have a prescription pad on hand to fill in and hand to patients. You can order or download a pad of 10 prescriptions just as easily as issuing a single prescription for your patient.
Once you have registered and activated your account, follow the directions below.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on ‘Prescribe a Course’.
- Toward the bottom of the page, click on ‘Order a THIS WAY UP pad’ and follow the prompts.
Q. What’s The Difference Between Registration And Login?
If it’s your first time here, you need to register to set up your user account and profile.
Once you’ve registered, you can return to your profile by logging into your account.
Q. How Do I Prescribe A Course To My Patient?
Once registered, you will be able to prescribe course to your patient. To prescribe courses, you will need to:
- Assess your patient and identify the course that you want them to complete.
- Click here to log in.
- Click on ‘Prescribe a Course’ and follow the prompts.
- Print off the prescription, fill in the required fields and give it to the patient.
- Ask the patient to register with thiswayup.org/clinic, using their email address and the prescription password.
- Read emails sent from THIS WAY UP regarding your patient’s progress.
- Keep in contact with your patient throughout the course, and take an interest in their process. You are clinically responsible for your patient during any THIS WAY UP courses that you prescribe.
Q. What Is The This Way Up Toolkit For Clinicians?
The THIS WAY UP Toolkit is a free resource for clinicians to assess, diagnose and supervise their patient. When you register, you will also receive access to:
- Clinician Guide: Step-by-step instructions explaining the clinician’s role and responsibilities, from initial assessment, to review at the conclusion of the course.
- Nurse Telephone Guide: A telephone script for your practice nurse to deliver reminder calls to your patients.
- Assessment Scales for Anxiety and Depression: Provides an instant assessment of anxiety and depression severity using the PHQ9 and GAD7 measures.
Q. How Do Patients Enrol With This Way Up?
Patients enrol via our website.
In order to register as a prescribed patient, they will require a completed prescription from you. They will then be required to register and enrol via the course page that they have been prescribed to.
Q. What Are The Technical Requirements?
To be able to use THIS WAY UP, you will need updated standard web browsing software.
Q. I’ve Forgotten My Password. How Do I Get A New One?
To reset your password, click here and follow the prompts.
When you choose your new password, please remember that your password should have a combination of 6 letters and numbers with a mix of upper and lower case.
Q. I’ve Changed My Email. How Do I Update My Details?
To update your details, log in to your THIS WAY UP account.
Click on ‘My Account’ at the top right of the page, then click ‘Update my details’ in the dropdown menu.
Q. Do Prescriptions Expire?
Your patients’ prescriptions expire 90 days after registration. Due to this, we recommend that your patients complete lessons 1 and 2 within the first thirty days.
The THIS WAY UP pads (containing 10 prescriptions) expire 365 days after the date of order.
Q. What Is The K10?
This is a measure of psychological distress. The K10 is completed at the start of each lesson for all courses. Scores range from 10 to 50. People seen in primary care who score over 20 will have significant distress. K10 scores should decrease as patients complete the course. If scores are in the severe range (>30) or increase dramatically, we recommend you arrange an immediate review with the patient.
Q. What Is The World Health Organisation Disability Assessment Schedule II (WHODAS II)?
This is a measure of disability. It is completed at the beginning and end of the course. Scores range from 12-60. Higher scores indicate increased disability. Scores should be decreased after patients have completed the course.
Q. What Is The Generalised Anxiety Disorder Scale (GAD-7)?
This is a measure of worry and physiological symptoms of anxiety. The GAD-7 is completed at the beginning and end of the Generalised Anxiety Disorder course. Scores range from 0 to 21 and should be decreased after patients have completed the course.
Q. What Is The Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9)?
This is a measure of depression, completed at the beginning and the end of the Depression course. Scores between 0-9 indicate no or mild depression; scores between 10-19 suggest moderate depression; and scores between 20-27 indicate severe depression. All people with severe depression and many with moderate depression should be taking an SSRI like Fluoxetine or Citalopram. Scores should be decreased after patients have completed the course.
Q. What Is The Panic Disorder Severity Scale (PDSS)?
This is a measure of panic disorder severity. It is administered at the beginning and the end of the Panic course. Scores range from 0-28. Scores should be decreased after patients have completed the course.
Q. What Is The Mini-Social Phobia Inventory (MINI-SPIN)?
This is a measure of social anxiety. It is administered at the beginning and the end of the Social Phobia course. Scores range from 0–12. A score of 6 or more indicates probable social phobia. Scores should be decreased after patients have completed the course.
Q. What’s The Purpose Of A Clinician Login?
Clinicians are recommended to log in to their THIS WAY UP account regularly.
Your account allows you to:
- Order: Order extra THIS WAY UP script pads.
- View: View all THIS WAY UP courses including lesson, homework, resources and testimonials. You can also view how many prescriptions you have left.
- Monitor: Monitor your patient’s progress by viewing their outcome measures and course completion status.
- Manage: You can manage your patients with the options to suspend or dismiss;
- Suspend: This means you can put your patient’s course on hold if your patient will be unavailable for some time. e.g. long vacation, hospitalisation
- Dismiss: You can dismiss your patient if they are no longer under your clinical responsibility e.g. patient has decided to discontinue their course
Q. I’ve Registered, Given My Patient A Prescription And Logged Into My Account. What Else Do I Have To Do?
Motivate your patient:
The referring or prescribing clinician has two important roles in helping their patient benefit from their THIS WAY UP course. They are:
- To stress the importance of completing the program according to schedule
- To take an interest in patient progress through telephone or face-to-face follow-up
These two simple steps are evidence-based solutions that have been shown to improve adherence and subsequent outcomes.
The more supervision and encouragement provided, the better a patient will do. Our studies have shown that with 30 minutes (over 6 lessons) of email supervision, patients using THIS WAY UP can do as well as patients being seen face-to-face by very experienced clinicians. That is, 80% complete the program and the average patient is better than 90% of untreated patients. On the other hand, if patients are left to complete a course without encouragement, the dropout rate increases and the benefit is reduced. Therefore, in primary care, reminders sent by the practice nurse and regular encouragement by the clinician will produce the best results.
Q. Is This Way Up Regularly Maintained?
THIS WAY UP will provide a minimum service level of 99.9% uptime per month, therefore there will be 1 hour of outage per month. Please notify THIS WAY UP of any outage issues by contacting us, and we will handle your technical inquiries with utmost urgency.
Q. How Do I Interpret Patient Reports?
If you prescribe a THIS WAY UP course and maintain clinical responsibility for your patient, you will be emailed a patient progress report after your patient completes each lesson of the course. The table below will assist you in interpreting these reports.
|Distress||Kessler Psychological Scale (K10)||
|Disability||World Health Organisation Disability Assessment Schedule II (WHODAS II)||
|Generalised Anxiety Disorder||Generalised Anxiety Disorder Scale (GAD-7)||
|Depression||Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9)||
|Panic Disorder||Panic Disorder Severity Scale (PDSS)||
|Social Phobia||Mini-Social Phobia Inventory (Mini-SPIN)||
Q. How Do I Email A Prescription Or Order A Prescription Pad?
In order to prescribe a course, you will need to be logged in to your THIS WAY UP account. Log in here.
TO EMAIL A PRESCRIPTION:
- Once you’ve logged in, you can use the form to email a prescription code directly to your patient.
- Enter your patient’s name and email in the appropriate fields. Please ensure the email address is entered correctly.
- Choose a course to recommend for your patient. Your patient will still be able to choose the course they do, but will be notified which course has been recommended by you.
- Read and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- You may also choose to receive a copy of the email that gets sent to your patient. You can use this option if you would like to see what your patient’s welcome email looks like.
- Once you click ‘Send’, your patient will receive a welcome email with a link that automatically fills in their prescription code.
TO ORDER A PRESCRIPTION PAD:
- Click ‘Order a prescription pad’
- Choose either an electronic or paper prescription pad. (Electronic prescriptions can be used instantly and are free of charge. Paper prescription pads are posted within 14 business days.)
Q. How Do I View My Patients’ Progress, Pause Their Course, Or Discharge A Patient?
In order to view your patients’ progress, you will need to be logged in to your THIS WAY UP account. Log in here. In addition to keeping track of your patients’ progress as they work through their THIS WAY UP course, you have the ability to either pause the course, or discharge your patient. See below for information on these processes.
OPTION 1: PAUSE YOUR PATIENTS COURSE
You can pause your patients’ course to avoid the 90 day expiration. Use this when your patient has gone on vacation, or when life simply gets in the way. Tip: Remember to ‘un-pause’ when they are ready to start again.
- Select patient
- Click the ‘More’ button
- Click the orange ‘Pause Course’ button
OPTION 2: DISCHARGE YOUR PATIENT
Keep your Clinician Account clean and archive your patients’ files away.
- Select patient
- Click the ‘More’ button
- Click the red ‘Discharge Patient’ button
OPTION 3: VIEW OUTCOME MEASURES
Keep track of your how many lessons your patient has completed.
- Select patient
- Click the ‘More’ button
Click the patient’s email link to automatically load their email address into your email client.
ADD/VIEW PROGRESS NOTES
- Select patient
- Click the orange note symbol next to the patients’ name
- To add notes click the ‘Add Note’ button and enter notes for this patient
Q. How Do I View My Prescription Usage?
In order to view your prescription usage, you will need to be logged in to your THIS WAY UP account. Log in here. You can track how many prescriptions you have given out to patients, as well as tracking which of your patients have not yet enrolled in their prescribed THIS WAY UP course.
TO VIEW PRESCRIPTION USAGE
Click ‘4. View your prescription usage’
TO VIEW INDIVIDUAL PRESCRIPTION
Select pad code View number of used and unused prescriptions
Q. How Do I Preview Courses?
Familiarise yourself with the courses you prescribe to your patient. You can preview courses to view the questionnaires, lesson content, homework, resources and recovery stories for each course. In order to preview courses, you will need to be logged in to your THIS WAY UP account. Log in here.
TO PREVIEW COURSES
- Click ‘3. Preview Courses’
- Select from one of our six courses: Depression, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Mixed Depression and Anxiety, Social Phobia, or Panic Disorder.
- You can view all lesson content, alternatively click ‘skip’ to go to the next section. All lessons contain pre lesson questionnaires, lesson content, homework, resources and recovery stories.